Sunday, November 18, 2012

What Remains, Book Review

What Remains: A Memoir of Fate, Friendship, and LoveCarole Radziwill was a cast member of the Real Housewives of New York last season and her best selling book was mentioned numerous times.  I purely picked up her book, "What Remains," out of curiosity.  Her memoir chronicles losing her husband Anthony and her friends John (Anthony's cousin) and Carolyn Kennedy.  While the book started off slow, I found myself becoming drawn in and invested in finishing the book. The story I found compelling was not the Kennedy's, but rather the story of Carole and Anthony. The vigor in which Anthony lived is inspiring.  The account of his battle against cancer stirred emotions inside me that I had never encountered before; the fragility of good health.  I was led to examine the delicate dance between life and death, how we console ourselves and try to understand our fortune. This could have been a fairytale, an ordinary girl falling in love with a prince and living happily ever after, but Carole's story is one of love and loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment