Monday, September 3, 2012

Scones

In my early twenties I worked in a darling tea room in Newport Beach.  A friend's mother had created a little oasis for those who like to partake in afternoon tea.  While working there, I learned how to make scrumptious sweets and savories, perfect for tea time. Any tea goer knows, no tea is complete without scones!

This is a recipe adapted from the one I learned so many years ago.

Ingredients
2 cups self rising flour
5 teaspoons granulated sugar
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup Can't Believe It's Not Butter chilled
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup chopped dried apricots

Method
Preheat oven to 425.
Sift flour and baking powder together in bowl; stir.  Cut in butter, then add sugar and stir. Create a well in the center of the mixture and add milk.  Gently combine with two forks, until dough is soft. Turn out dough on floured surface (I use my countertop but you could use a pastry mat or cutting board too). Knead lightly. Pat into 1/2 thick.  Use 2 inch round cookie cutter (I also used a heart) and arrange on floured baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes or until lightly brown.



Serve warm with you favorite perserve, lemon curd and clotted cream.  You may also substitute the apricots with dried cranberries or cherries. If you prefer no nuts leave them out and add more dried fruit.

To make a quick clotted cream, whip 1 cup whipping cream with a 1 1/2 tablespoons of powdered sugar until peaks form.  Fold in 1/3 cup drained sour cream and refrigerate until ready to serve.

2 comments:

  1. Looks delicious!! I'll have to try it!! Thanks for sharing!! PS. I'd love it if you could come visit my blog and follow me if you like it!! :)

    -Stephanie
    @LaminLouboutins.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Your blog is fabulous. We share a sweet tooth! Looking forward to your future posts. Happy bloggin'.
      Tanya

      Delete